Cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetables in the world. Cucumber is a vegetable that has full of benefits to your health. There are various ways of having cucumber. Basically, it is divided into two categories. One is slicing cucumber, which are for fresh consumption and the other is pickling cucumber which are for eventual processing into pickles.
There are various health benefits of cucumber. Ten topmost benefits of cucumber are listed below:
- Cucumbers are rich source of vitamin B. You can now put down your sodas, coffee and go for cucumber slice.
- As cucumbers are 95% water, it keeps your body hydrated and helps your body to eliminate toxins.
- Cucumber contains lariciresinol, pinoresinol and secoisolariciresinol. These are three different lignans that helps in reducing the risk of several cancer types which includes breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
- For ladies who are concerned about their beauty, cucumber cab be used for skin irritations, sunburns. Placing a slice of cucumber over puffy eyes will help reduce the puffiness of the eye.
- Cucumbers are low in calorie and contain high water content. It is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in riddling the body of toxins from the digestive system siding digestion.
- If you are drunk and afraid of hangover next day, then cucumber is your best solution. Eat few cucumber slices before going to bed because it contain enough sugar, vitamin B, water and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
- It contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients. The compound called sterols found in cucumber also helps in reducing cholesterol levels. It also contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating blood pressure. Hence cucumber is good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
- Are you in trouble with your bad breath? Then now breathe freely because cucumber is there to help you out. It is your best and simple solution. Tale a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for about 30 seconds. The phytochemicals present in it will kill bacteria present in your mouth which are responsible for causing bad breath.
- It is an excellent source of silica which is renowned for helping in promoting joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C and D, calcium, magnesium, potassium etc. If it is mixed with carrot juice and served then it can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
- It is also a rich source of copper that helps you make neurotransmitters, the family of chemicals your brain cells need to communicate. It helps you to produce healthy red blood cells, strengthens your connective tissue and boosts you immune system.